Matt says “this cup makes me feel like a warrior on the battle field”. I love compliments like this. Basically the best feedback I ever get is when people say my work looks like it was in a shipwreck and someone dug it up a thousand years later. It makes me think “wow, you really get what I’m doing” #battlefieldwarrior #ceramics #rockcups @tittlehats

View on Instagram

Loading the Anagama kiln at UNCA with this guy, Hunter Stamps. Hunter built this kiln as an undergrad in 2000 and I was fortunate to be there for the first firing, which was also my first wood firing, and I’ve been hooked ever since. It’s the kiln that I learned on and still one of my all time favorites. Hunter is on sabbatical from teaching at UK and back in town to lead the firing. He’s always been a larger than life character, as this picture will attest. He’s also a great artist, teacher, true friend, and good drinking buddy. #hunterstamps #community @stampspottery @hunterstamps

View on Instagram

I’ve been in the game long enough to know that peeking into a dark kiln and pulling select pieces out of the side ports is no way to actually gauge the success of a firing… But I can’t help myself and I do it anyway. The initial returns of the side stoke snatch look promising. Unload tomorrow. #woodkilnpeek #woodfire #woodkiln #woodkilnunload #ceramics #joshcopus

View on Instagram

Wood pig. It goes by many names, but in the south this technique is most often lay referred to as wood pig or sometimes pig fart. It basically involves stuffing a stoke port full of wood to create a burner type action, and it’s always been one of my favorite firing moves for crushing cones. #woodpig #woodfire #woodkiln #ceramics #crushingit #joshcopus

View on Instagram