Detail of my current stone wall project. Stones have always been a source of strength for me. Stacking and arranging them an act of meditation. Shapes have always made sense to me. It is not always so with the rest of my life. As an visual artist, seeing and understanding shapes is my job, but it’s also my remedy for confusion. Simple shapes that fit together well make sense. When my mind feels scattered, the stones offer organization and strength. #apotterslife #stones #rockwall #stonestack #landproject #stonemeditation

View on Instagram

My boy Shanti from growing up in Floyd with one of his massive wooden vessels turned from a box elder burl. It’s awesome to hang with the kids I grew up with and see the amazing things that they are doing and making as adults. I think it’s a real testament to the community we were raised in. #community #shanti #woodturning #burl

View on Instagram

In 2006 I made an installation and subsequent project/art action called Building Community, comprised of 2,000 bricks I made by hand from wild clay I dug from a tobacco field and stamped with either the word INDIVIDUAL or the word COMMUNITY. Since then I have given away nearly all of the COMMUNITY bricks. By far my favorite method for doing this is the US Postal Service. It’s always a good conversation starter and head turner whenever I mail a brick. #community #communitybrick #mailart

View on Instagram