Firing.
I love loading but it’s by far the most stressful part of the woodfiring process for me. It’s a big kiln and we load all 3 chambers at the same time in 2 days. It’s a bit hectic. Lots of problem solving and planning goes into the load and because the loading is so essential to creating the surfaces on the finished work it’s really important that we do it right. You want to take your time But there is always some kind of deadline looming in the distance and we have to start on time or the whole schedule gets thrown off.
It’s all a bit stressful for me.
But once the fire is lit it’s a huge relief. Then it’s just the firing. It has its own schedule. It doesn’t need to go fast. The beginning candle is actually quite relaxing.
This is my view from the captains chair on the first morning. It doesn’t get old.
As we near 50 firings on this kiln it’s still exciting. So much potential.
#firing #woodfiring #pottersmarket2018 #pottersmarketinvitational #woodkiln #woodfiredceramics #woodfiredpottery

View on Instagram

Big pot. Big Kiln. Big time busy getting everything made for the upcoming @pottersmarketinvitational
Every year I bring my very best work to this show, and I always try to make a couple pieces that really push the limits of what I feel capable of.
Of course, for anyone who knows ceramics, now is not the time to count chickens. Making and decorating is sorta the easy part of big work. Fingers crossed for the firing!!!
With @delhomserviceleague and @themintmuseum
#pottersmarketinvitational #pottersmarket2018 #mintshow #ceramics #apotterslife #joshcopus

View on Instagram

And just like that it was gone.
Two and a half days to take it down to dirt.
Almost everything has been palletized and sorted. Seed and straw are down where we had to regrade the hillside behind the kiln to fill the enormous hole where the kiln used to be.
It was an epic effort by all involved.
Thanks to @eastforkpottery @alexmatisse @conchitarosita
@hashtagkccrafts @hollomoncook @johnvigeland and the rest of the crew for making this resource available.
Big ups to our crew of @micahmakespots @emily.thanhauser @kristeneasters @candicehensley @nicklistoceramics for crushing it so hard.
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens next at this property. Eastfork is setting up a big operation in Asheville that’s pretty exciting. For anyone one who is interested, this land has been bought by a friend of mine. There has been talk of having a ceramics residency here in the future. Lots of potential that’s for sure.
#eastfork #eastforkpottery #eastforkwoodkiln #apotterslife #woodfiredceramics #woodfiredpottery

View on Instagram

We started tearing down the @eastforkpottery woodkiln today.
@alexmattise and me started setting up our places out here around the same time, over a decade ago. It was a time full of big dreams and lots of figuring it out.
This kiln and this place hasn’t touched me as much as some, but I have seen it evolve through the years and it has impacted me greatly. If anything it made me work harder to try and keep pace with all the progress Alex was making. I’ve always looked to him and Connie as an inspiration, for all the amazing things they’ve built together.
Its a bittersweet situation. I’m as sad as anyone to see this kiln come down and I wish that Eastfork could have made it work out here in Madison County, but I understand why they made this decision and am excited for their new direction.
Alex, Connie, John and the whole team… I love you and I’m glad that you are a part of my life. I’m grateful to know you.
I’m also happy knowing that these bricks will become new kilns in new places and serve as the beginnings of new journeys and early careers.
@nicklistoceramics @micahmakespots and @candicehensley will all make new kilns from these bricks. It’s an exciting time in that respect.
So.
What more can you say?
Things chance and people move around.
I guess the best we can do is try to make something beautiful out of what is left behind.
#eastforkpottery #woodfiredpottery #woodfiredceramics #woodkiln
#apotterslife

View on Instagram

Shapes and lines in the evening sunlight.
Lots of work in various stages here in the studio right now. All in preparation for the upcoming Potter’s Market Invitational with the @delhomserviceleague and the @themintmuseum
#shapes #lines #ceramics #pottery #woodfiredpottery #mintmuseum #pottersmarketinvitational

View on Instagram